Algal Research and Bioenergy group performs a full range of research related to algae and other biomass. The research works extends from exploring biomass by biorefinery process to optimization of the produced biofuels and bio-products.
Dr Vinod Kumar
Assistant Professor, Dept of Chemistry,
Dr Vinod Kumar guides research scholars to accomplish the objectives of the algal research and bioenergy laboratory.
- Dr ( Prof.) Ajay Singh
Professor, Dept. of Chemistry
- Dr Harish Chandra Joshi
Assistant Professor, Dept of Chemistry
- Municipal wastewater treatment by microalgae and its following hydrothermal liquefaction to reach the sustainable and efficient use of renewable resources
Project Coordinator: Dr. Vinod Kumar
Project No: Indo-Russian project –NT/RUS/RFBR/347
Amount: Rs. 2371320
Starting Date: 7 Feb 2019
End Date : 6 Feb 2021
Participating Institutes: Uttaranchal University, IIT Roorkee, The Joint Institute for High Temperatures of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia.
Summary of project
Wastewater composition is a very important factor when considering microalgae treatment as a potential step within a wastewater treatment process. Nutrient uptake by algae can vary a lot depending on the species as well as the quality of wastewaters. This project implements innovative technologies that (1) utilizes microalgae to recycle waste water carbon and other nutrients, including N and P and micropollutants (2) transform biomass into renewable biofuel.
- Manisha Nanda, Vinod Kumar, DK Sharma. Multimetal tolerance mechanisms in bacteria: The resistance strategies acquired by bacteria that can be exploited to ‘clean-up’ heavy metals contaminants from water. Aquatic Toxicology (2019), 212, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquatox.2019.04.011. ( IF.3.7)
- Bharti Ramola, Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda, Yashi Mishra, Tushar Tyagi, Ayushi Gupta, Nishesh Sharma. Evaluation, comparison of different solvent extraction, cell disruption methods and hydrothermal liquefaction of Oedogonium macroalgae for biofuel production. Biotechnology Reports 24 (2019) e00340 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.btre.2019.e00340
- Manisha Nanda, Vinod Kumar, Nighat Fatima, Vikas Pruthi, Monu Verma, P.K. Chauhan, Mikhail S. Vlaskin, Anatoly V. Grigorenko. Detoxification mechanism of organophosphorus pesticide via carboxylestrase pathway that triggers de novo TAG biosynthesis in oleaginous microalgae. Aquatic Toxicology 209 (2019) 49–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquatox.2019.01.019 ( IF.3.7)
- Vinod Kumar, Akshay Kumar, Manisha Nanda. Pretreated animal and human waste as a substantial nutrient source for cultivation of microalgae for biodiesel production. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. (2018). 25(22), 22052-22059 doi: 10.1007/s11356-018-2339-x (IF 2.91).
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda , Monu Verma, Ajay Singh. An integrated approach for extracting fuel, chemicals, and residual carbon using pine needles. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery (2018) 8 (2) 447–454. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-018-0304-z ( IF 2.32)
- Vinod Kumar, Rajat Kumar, Deepa Rawat, Manisha Nanda. Synergistic dynamics of light, photoperiod and chemical stimulants influences biomass and lipid productivity in Chlorella singularis (UUIND5) for biodiesel production. Applied Biological Chemistry. (2018) 61:7-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-017-0332-6 ( IF 1.55)
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda, HC Joshi, Ajay Singh, Sonal Sharma, Monu Verma. Production of biodiesel and bioethanol using algal biomass harvested from fresh water river. Renewable Energy (2018) 116; 606-612. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2017.10.016 (IF 5.43).
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda, Monu Verma. Application of agar liquid-gel transition in cultivation and harvesting of microalgae for biodiesel production. Bioresource Technology. (2017) 243; 163–168. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.06.080 ( IF 6.6).
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda, Monu Verma, Ajay Singh. A Method For Preparation Of Nutrient Source From Food Waste For Cultivation Of Microalgae. Application Reference Number TEMP/E-1/8994/2018-DEL
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda, Rajendra Prasad, Sanjay Kumar. A Process for Microalgae Harvesting and Enhancing Biomass Productivity. Application Reference Number TEMP/E-1/17691/2018-DEL
NCBI-Gen Bank Deposition
- Vinod Kumar and Manisha Nanda , Saccharomyces cerevisiae UUIND1 18S rRNA Partial Sequence. GenBank accession number.: KY385556; submitted on 23Dec, 2016.
- Vinod Kumar, Rajat Kumar, Manisha Nanda and Rajendra Parasad. Micractinium pusillum strain UUIND4 18S rRNA Partial Sequence. GenBank accession number.: KY484922; submitted on 21 jan, 2017.
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda and Deepa Rawat. Chlorella singularis strain UUIND5 18S rRNA Partial Sequence. GenBank accession number.: KY745895; submitted on 15 March, 2017.
- Vinod Kumar, Manisha Nanda and Akshay Kumar. Chlorella sorokiniana strain UUIND6 18S rRNA Partial Sequence. GenBank accession number.: KY780616; submitted on 20 March, 2017.