About School of Agriculture
School of Agriculture (SOA) is an important constituent of Uttaranchal University established in the year 2016 is a best institute in Uttarakhand for the new age agro-professional and advance learnings in Agriculture. The school is offering UG and PG degree programmes of agriculture that are supplemented with a set of courses focus on development of technical and professional skills, providing experiential learning for entrepreneurship and job opportunities, innovative research and extension, and many integrating progressive activities of the students in smart Agriculture. SOA, a top educational centre in Dehradun is known for quality education where students are explored to fulfil versatile demands of local, regional, national and global standards. SOA has developed best state of the art infrastructure including ICT enabled classrooms, well equipped laboratories, well maintained practical fields, advanced crop research centre and mesmerising landscape in the campus along with a good number of distinguished faculty members. We are encouraging a unique learning environment that assurances the students’ tune up with the 21st Century and thus boost their holistic development.
Why School of Agriculture?
- School of Agriculture (SOA) has best state of the art infrastructure including ICT enabled classrooms, well equipped laboratories, well maintained practical fields, advanced crop research centre and mesmerising landscape in the campus along with a good number of distinguished faculty members.
- The school is offering advanced and updated course curriculum of UG and PG degree programmes as per recommendations of ICAR and enrichment of syllabus with value added courses.
- SOA has adopted unique feedback system for enhancement of quality in academics comprising the course contends as per the current and future demands in Agriculture and related sectors on regular basis.
- Faculty members in SOA mentor the students for job opportunities, various competitive examinations, higher studies, Entrepreneurship and start-up programmes and other placement activities within the campus.
- SOA has highest student progression and placement records in the versatile fields of Agriculture. Our students are moving ahead as immersing leaders in the challenging world.
- SOA is providing best and suitable environment to the students for Research works, Manuscript writing and publication of articles, technical report, thesis, etc.,
- The curriculum of UG degree programme has enriched for developing communication skills in students so that they can interact with farmers as well as corporate persons through Rural Agricultural Work Experience (RAWE), Agro-Industrial Attachment (AIA) and Experiential Learning (ELP) Programmes. The curriculum of PG degree programme has enriched with Intellectual Property and Its Management in Agriculture, Technical Writing and Communication Skills, Disaster Management, Library and Information Services, Basic Concepts in Laboratory Techniques, Agriculture Research, Research Ethics and Rural Development Programme Master’s Seminar, and Master’s Research.
- SOA had developed an environment within campus for sustainable and smart agricultural practices and students are motivated for utilization of their theoretical knowledge in the resource utilization, field operations, cultivation of crops, post-harvest, etc.
- Student engagement in extension programmes in village adopted by the university.
- Uttaranchal University is committed to provide highest return on money and the time students and their parents spent here.
Vision and Mission
- To emerge as renowned centre of excellence in agriculture by offering integrative educational experiences that unifies the fundamental and advance learning, hand on experience, research and extension.
- To develop a leading centre for providing the student responsive education in Agriculture and related sectors.
- To promote research and training on sustainable development of the agricultural productivity, cost reduction in farming, farm mechanization and livestock production.
- To promote the consultancy in agriculture for the local farm producers through integrated extension activities.
- To inculcate high regards for ethical principles and an understanding of human values and ethics and environmental sustainability.
- To encourage students for entrepreneurship and rural development.
The USPs of the Institute
Well-equipped advanced laboratories
Ample of fields and resources for practical work and research trials
Experienced and well qualified faculty members
Well defined teaching pedagogy with thrust action from lab to land
Special cell for making students ready for job opportunities, higher studies, entrepreneurship, and other higher progression
Different students’ Clubs and participation of students in co-curricular and extracurricular activities for their all-round grooming and lifelong learnings
In campus hands on trainings in different modules of Agriculture
Idealistic mentoring system for addressing students’ problems and to build up their Physical, Mental, Emotional, Social, and Spiritual personality.
Dean’s Welcome Note
School of Agriculture (SOA) is a prominent institution that has been established with the mission to nurture the students as new age Agro professionals. We are committed for the untiring efforts for providing responsive education, training and service in such a way that our students get all success in their life and always become ready for the challenging world. Our aim is not only restricted to meet the prerequisite well being of our stakeholders but also to contribute towards the progress of local, reginal, national, and global standards of agriculture and related sectors.
Today SOA is a well-established institution which is providing the best infrastructure facilities, with impeccable academic credentials through the advanced course curriculum recommended by ICAR Fifth Deans’ Committee that is delivered by well qualified and experienced faculty members. We believe that in today’s scenario students are required to mold themselves as per the market/industry requirement. To ensure the same, SOA is arranging sessions of co-curricular and extracurricular activities like remedial classes, Personality development & Communication skills, Experiential learning programmes, Field trainings, Guest Lectures, Seminars and Workshops and other cognitive educational features. As the Dean of School of Agriculture (SOA), I extend my best wishes to you all and congratulate you for joining SOA.
Prof (Dr.) Mahipal Singh
Distinguished Faculty Members
Prof. (Dr.) Mahipal Singh
Dr. Rajendra Prasad
Dr. Rachna Juyal
Dr. Sandeep Kumar
Dr. Atin Kumar
Dr. Mohsin Ikram
Dr. Neha Saini
Dr. Siddharth Shankar Bhatt
Dr. Awaneesh Kumar
SOA is known for the best and well established infrastructure for the development and motivation of UG and PG students, Research scholars, Teachers and future professionals. The laboratories are well equipped for teaching and learning of core and related courses. These labs are well enriched with advanced equipment, demonstration aids, models, specimens and many other experimental support systems.
We have the following fully equipped laboratories and field resources for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes:
Soil Science Laboratory
The laboratory is well equipped with modern equipment for Soil and Water Testing and Analysis.
The laboratory is well equipped with basic horticultural tools, sample of horticultural seeds and bonsai plants.
Plant Pathology Laboratory
The laboratory is well equipped with fungal and bacterial raising cultures, autoclaves, BOD incubator and advance microscopes.
This laboratory is an interesting place for the collection and identification of insects for better management practices. It consists of modern entomological tools and a varied collection of insect specimens.
Genetics and Plant Breeding Laboratory
The laboratory is equipped with the basic tools and instruments providing insight into molecular biology practices along with breeder’s tools for better understanding of breeding methodologies.
Dairy & Poultry Laboratory
This laboratory consists of models and charts displaying different breeds of cattle, poultry birds and other livestock animals.
Practical learning Field
The purpose and motive of practical learning field is to provide first-hand knowledge of various cultivation practices and an insight into the basics of crop production.
SOA has maintained a Crop Cafeteria within the campus and raised different crops and their varieties in Kharif and Rabi seasons. The Crop Cafeteria is useful to demonstrate the students about the method of field preparation, seed sowing, nursery practices, irrigation methods, manure and fertilizer application, pests and pathogens identification and their management for different crops and their varieties grown in Uttarakhand.
In polyhouse, crops can be protected from adverse environmental condition. Within the university campus polyhouse has set with the aim to provide opportunities to the agricultural students where they can learn methods of modern farming practices specially in controlled environment. It is also used in research purpose.
Museum is a storehouse of representations and narratives of agricultural development. University has made a crop museum in SOA block to display models/specimens/samples of agricultural importance.
Mushroom Cultivation Unit
SOA has established a mushroom cultivation unit to demonstrate spawn production, preparation of compost bags, casing, cultivation of mushrooms, packaging and their marketing.
Navgrah Vatika is the centre of attraction where nine different plants reprinting nine planets of the solar system i.e., Calotropis procera (Sun), Ficus religiosa (Jupitor), Achyranthus aspera (Mercury), Ficus racemose (Venus), Butea monosperma (Moon), Acacia catechu (Mars), Cynodon dactylon (Rahu), Prosopis cenneraria (Saturn) and Imperrata cylindrical (Ketu). These plants believed important for prosperity, good health and wealth. Along with these plants, various other medicinal and aromatic plants are raised and maintained in the vatika.
SOA uses agricultural residue, leaf litters, plant debris, etc. generate in campus to produce manure in NADEP Pits. The manure prepared in these pits are used by students in their practical fields, research fields and Navgrah Vatika. Sometimes gardeners also use this manure in maintenance of landscaping in the campus.
SOA has established a function unit to demonstrate and production of vermicompost and vermi-wash. The products are used for organic faming and in Practical crop production fields.
This laboratory consists of timber of various important trees and also a variety of herbarium stocks.
This laboratory consists of traditional and modern agricultural implements which are being used to raise field crops.
University Agriculture Field: The purpose and motive of practice in agricultural fields is to provide firsthand knowledge of various agricultural practices and an insight into the basics of crop production.
Agro Meteorological Observatory
The study of climate and weather elements has a vital impact on agricultural production. Furnishing basic understanding of agro-meteorological principles, Agro Meteorological observatory furnishes the efficient study of climate with modern devices and equipment so that one can develop skills in prediction of weather.