Biotechnology is a broad discipline in which biological processes, organisms and cells are exploited to develop new technologies. Biotechnology is an emerging field of science and technology which employs utilization of several tools and techniques for either improvement of existing living organism or to create new improved transgenic varieties. Several biotechnological processes are aimed for production of antibiotics, hormones, vaccines and other pharmaceutical products. Currently there are a large number of biotechnology based health care products and vaccines available for patients, including many for previously incurable diseases. More than 13.3 million farmers around the world utilize Agricultural Biotechnology to increase yields, prevent damage from insects and pests and reduce farming’s impact on the environment. In specific parts of the world biorefineries are being built which aim to test and refine technologies to produce biofuels and chemicals from renewable biomass. Several other applications of biotechnology are in existance which aims to create environment friendly products and processes leading to the benefit of both mankind and environment.
School of Applied & Life Sciences (SALS) offers M.Sc. in Biotechnology, a two years regular programme spread into four semesters. Subjects included in the programme are a blend of theoretical and experimental aspects. Different programmes (papers) spread in four semesters provide sound knowledge of the subject along with socio-ethical implications. The programme is supported by adequate industrial visits, in house seminars presentations and project work to provide all round exposure to students. Postgraduates of this program will possess sound background knowledge of modern biology integrated advanced technology and will be able to apply these as tools in industry and institutes. The department aims to carry out meaningful research for the benefit of society, environment and nation and make an effort to develop as centre of excellence in biotechnology field to generate postgraduates who endeavor for the welfare of mankind.
A M.Sc. in Biotechnology produces competent biotechnologists who can employ and implement their knowledge base in premium processes and applications which will profoundly influence or be utilized for existing paradigms of agriculture, industry, healthcare and restoration of degraded environment to provide sustainable competitive edge to the present society.
Some of the avenues available for a student with M.Sc. in Biotechnology are as follows:
- Higher studies (M.Phil, Ph.D) can be pursued in order to attain research positions. Various examinations such as CSIR-NET, ARS-NET GATE, ICMR, DBT, etc. opens channels for a promising career in research.
- Students can become Junior Production Officer and Technical Assistant in the field of Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Companies, Bio Fertilizer Industry, Aquaculture Industries, Environmental Units, Crop Production Units, Food Processing Industries, National Bio-Resource Development Firms, Banking and KPO.
- Entrepreneurship ventures such as Consultancy and Training Centres can be opened.
- Some of the major Pharmaceutical and Drug Companies hiring biotechnological professionals include Dabur, Ranbaxy, Hindustan Lever and Dr Reddy’s Labs. There are various opportunities available to biotechnologists in the Food Processing Industries, Chemical Industry and Textile Industry as well. Besides this, the industries also employ bio-technological professionals in their marketing divisions to boost up business in sectors where their products would be required. Some other major companies, hiring bio-technologists, include Hindustan Lever, Thapar Group, Indo American Hybrid Seeds, Bincon India Ltd., IDPL and Hindustan Antibiotics, Patanjali Ltd.
- Beside industrial sector there are ample opportunities in academics as well.
- Several career opportunities are available for students of Biotechnology in many foreign countries like Germany, Australia, Canada and USA where biotechnology is a rapidly developing field.
- B.Sc. Degree in Biotechnology / Microbiology / Biochemistry / CBZ / Life Sciences or equivalent.
- Minimum marks 50% as aggregate for general category and 45% for SC/ST category.
- The admission is based on merit, computed on the basis of marks secured in Qualifying Admission is based on merit computed on the basis of marks secured in qualifying examination. University also conducts interviews of all applicants before admitting the eligible candidates.
- Out of the total intake, 40% seats are allotted to students of Uttarakhand under the State Quota and the rest are open to students from all India. In case the allotted percentage of seats of State Quota remains vacant, it will be filled by All India students.
- Note: 26% Scholarship in Tuition Fee is offered to Uttarakhand Domicile Candidates
You may apply for this programme either online or by sending the completed registration form.