Uttaranchal Institute of Management organized a Guest Lecture for its Faculty Members on the topic “How to Write a Quality Research Paper?” in the UIM Seminar Hall on 10th April, 2018. Dr.Jyoti Rana, a renowned researcher, trainer, social worker and academician was the Resource Person for the event. She is an alumnus of IIM, Ahmedabad and IIM, Kozhikode. She possesses a rich experience of writing research papers and guiding research scholars.
The event initiated with the felicitation of Dr. Jyoti Rana by Prof. (Dr.) Pradeep Suri (Director-UIM). In his address, Dr. Suri briefed the audience regarding the significance of writing a research paper and explained why every faculty member needs to write research papers. He further emphasized that originality in research is the need of the hour.
Dr. Jyoti Rana shared a lot of research related knowledge which was sure to prove highly beneficial for the faculty members in their pursuit of writing research papers especially in the various functional areas of Management and IT. She emphasised that every individual is unique and creative in one’s own way and that creativity needs to be used for the purpose of research. She mentioned that copying matter from internet is also a kind of theft. She further elaborated that the first requirement of generating a quality paper is to think about creating a quality research paper. She stated that before writing the research paper one should decide the journal for publication. She further expressed that one should always interact with the right kind of dedicated researchers. According to her, quality in research needs more of heart and less of head and the correct selection of topic is imperative. She further stated the following aspects of research:
- Research needs passion about the following 3 ideas:
1. Purpose ( whether research could contribute in any area)
2. Possibility of Execution
3. Quality Performance
- Research Paper should be written in the simplest way, like a story, rather than in a complex language. We should try not to embarrass our readers with jargon or obsolete language.
- Literature Review should comprise of Focus, Goal, Perspective, Coverage, Organization and Audience. It ought to be conducted in the following stages:Research Stage, Problem Formulation, Data Collection, Analysis & Interpretation and Public Presentation.
- Writing a Literature Review is like story building with unity (one idea) and cohesion (making the reading smooth, easy and concise).
- While writing a quality research paper one should not get too much obsessed with anyone’s idea but aim to be original.
- She also shared her insight about how to find a research topic and then refine the objectives for maintaining the focus of the study.
Dr. S M Mariyam Fatima (Head of the Department – Management) was the Coordinator of the event and Mr. Shivendra Singh Chaudhary was the Master of Ceremony.
The event concluded with a Vote of Thanks proposed by Dr. Sonal Sharma (Head of the Department – Computer Application).