The Department of Computer Applications, Uttaranchal Institute of Management, organized a Webinar on “Cyber Security Awareness” on 26th June, 2020.
Dr. Sonal Sharma (HOD-IT) initiated the webinar session with an informative speech on the need of conducting these types of sessions. Dr. Sharma welcomed the eminent speaker Mr. Abbas Mehdi, Joint Director at Software Technology Parks of India (STPI), Ministry of Electronics & IT, Government of India.Mr. Mehdi shared his concern regarding cyber security in today’s scenario. He further shared the data pertaining to compromised system in various years. He focused on the following points:
- How cyber crime is different from conventional crimes?
- Prominent reasons for cyber crime.
- Major cyber threats including: Malware, Trojans etc.
- Hacking and ethical hacking fundamentals.
- Other concepts including cyber squatting, cyber smearing, phishing, cyber defamation, web jacking, email bombing, data diddling, salami attacks, denial of service attacks, cyber terrorism and the like.
- Identities which are most vulnerable to attacks and the prevention tips.
- Current impacts of cyber crime due to COVID-19 Pandemic and the Indian Government initiative towards enhancing cyber security.
The session was interactive with a Question and Answer Session after the lecture. The students of BCA, B.Sc. (IT) and MCA of Uttaranchal Institute of Management enthusiastically participated in the webinar.
Towards the conclusion Dr. Sonal Sharma summarized the points related to cyber security awareness and proposed the Vote of Thanks towards Mr. Abbas Mehdi for sharing his knowledge. Dr. Sharma further appreciated the support extended by the faculty members of Computer Applications Department towards the smooth conduct of the event.